Monday, August 18, 2008

Halifax International Busker Festival






While I was in Vancouver, Nick asked me to come to Halifax in August to help him with a series of shows at the Halifax International Busker Festival. He was to put on a half hour show twice a day for ten days, which is a lot for just one person. I didn't know how I was going to make it happen, but I eventually figured it out and decided to help him out -- ha!

What fun! What experience! It was an absolute blast! I helped build fire tools (an umbrella and little flowers), put out tools, made and lit circles of fire jelly, worked a fire puppet, spun a fire hula hoop, and even performed fire rope duets with the master poi jedi himself. Someone up there likes me!
So many interesting people performed at the event! Jacob and Sophie of Dream State Circus were certainly inspiring to be around -- they give an excellent show and are wonderful people, and it was amazing to perform with them for the fire all stars act! I was also able to connect with Marissa Gough, an excellent fire eater / flesher / belly dancer that I met briefly at Wildfire earlier this summer as well as some other lovely locals. Thanks to these fabulous Haligonians, I now know how to eat fire. It tastes bad, but is rather fun!

Soooo... This wraps up my Great Summer of Poi! "Great" is too small a word to describe it, really... Looking forward to next year!








No comments: